NAC Executive Chef John Morris first made these cookies when he was in play school in Scotland. Like any 4 year old he thought it was so much fun to roll out the balls of dough, mark them with your thumb and fill them with jam — it's a fun craft activity that ends with a sweet treat! This recipe remains a family favourite.
Chef Morris assured me that even a novice such as myself would have no difficulty following this simple recipe and he was right — the cookies were delicious!
Melting Moments Recipe by Chef John Morris
Yield : 10-12 cookies
- 70g AP flour
- 42 g caster sugar
- 56 g butter
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla bean extract or paste
- 50 g shredded coconut (or rolled oats)
- Small jar of your favourite jam (strawberry for me)
- Pre heat oven to 350’F
- Cream together the butter and sugar and add the vanilla.
- Stir in the flour and mix to combine completely
- Divide the mixture into 12 pieces and roll each piece into a ball with wet hands.
- Coat each ball in coconut (and/or oats)
- Lay them out on a buttered or oiled baking sheet and flatten them slightly.
- Make an indent in the centre of each with your thumb. Spoon a small amount of jam into each of the indents.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- When ready, remove from the oven, cool on a rack and ENJOY!