The National Arts Centre relies on volunteers at all levels of the organization and values the time, talents, and passions volunteers contribute to achieving our mission. Volunteer involvement extends our capacity to meet the increasing demands for our services.
Engaging individual volunteers links us to people with diverse skills, cultural backgrounds, ages, and abilities that strengthen our capacity to meet the evolving needs of our community. We are committed to creating a warm, safe, and inclusive environment where the unique gifts of volunteers are recognized and nurtured, and where dedicated staff and resources support meaningful volunteer opportunities. Volunteers are provided with training and support in order to carry out their work effectively and are recognized for their valuable contributions.
The NAC operates in English and French and is always looking for bilingual volunteers. The ability to speak more than one language is often helpful in working with guests. Some volunteer opportunities absolutely require the ability to understand and speak both English and French. Such requirements are noted in the details of each volunteer opportunity.
The ideal volunteer at the NAC is 15 years of age or older. Some exceptions may apply. All volunteers over the age of 18 are required to complete a Police Record Check. Please contact us for more information.
Volunteer opportunities include
Greeting and Wayfinding
- Greeting and wayfinding are public-facing tasks.
- Ideal volunteers for this role are bilingual and personable. They must have a good sense of direction and a solid knowledge of the layout of the NAC and the surrounding area. Being able to multi-task and being comfortable with guests of all ages and abilities is important.
- Volunteers will greet guests and assist with wayfinding and providing directions as needed.
- At the beginning of each shift, volunteers are provided with a print copy of the NAC Daily Service Notes that describes that day’s events.
- Ideally, volunteers in this role will have the ability to use a tablet to refer to the daily production schedule and notes. Volunteers may request this information in an alternate format.
Special Event Support
- Special Event Support is a public-facing task.
- Ideal volunteers for this role are bilingual and personable. They are able to follow instructions, are comfortable multitasking, calm in a high-volume setting, and able to respond to complaints in a respectful manner. For some NAC events, volunteers may be asked to wear specific attire.
- During special events, volunteers may be asked to greet VIP guests, be a seat-filler, or assist with event support.
- Special events may include cultural events or educational events. Specific NAC events include:
- Big Bang Festival
- Canada Day
- Culture Days
- Governor General’s Performing Arts Awards Gala
- NAC Gala
- Zones Théâtrales
- Ruddy Lounge ambassadors are Smart Serve certified volunteers who greet and serve donors.
- Ideal volunteers for this role are bilingual and have excellent interpersonal skills. They possess sound judgment and tact. They are confident, composed, and courteous, and instill confidence in the donor that they have made a sound decision in donating to the NAC Foundation.
- Ideal volunteers are able to manipulate large bottles of alcohol, stand for a period of up to one hour, and are able to bend low to take items out of cabinets and of the refrigerator.
To all the volunteers who have chosen to share their time and knowledge at the National Arts Centre – we thank you.
Alain Chauvin, Volunteer Coordinator