Here is a crowd-pleasing dessert recipe from le café that is served warm and guaranteed to chase away the winter doldrums. First you bake fluffy and delicious banana bread. Then cube and mix it into a bread pudding-style custard with chunks of premium white chocolate. Bake it again and add caramelized banana caramel sauce – this is sure to be a big hit with the whole family! Last, but certainly not least, is a crown of homemade marshmallow fluff toasted with a blowtorch. The wonderful flavour will evoke wonderful memories of moments spent around the campfire. Enjoy!
Yield: 6 portions
For the banana bread:
- 200 g melted butter
- 320 g sugar
- 400 g ripe banana (peeled)
- 160 g egg
- 265 g flour
- 10 g baking soda
- 5 g salt
- 200 g white chocolate (broken into pieces or use chips)
- In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add bananas and mix until smooth.
- Whisk in the egg.
- Add sifted flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the chocolate.
- Pour batter into a buttered and floured loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F until a wooden toothpick comes out clean, approximately 40 minutes.
For the custard mixture:
- 100 mL 2% milk
- 100 mL 35% cream
- 2 pc whole eggs
- 70 g sugar
- 5 mL vanilla bean paste
- Whisk all ingredients together.
For the marshmallow fluff:
- 1 pc egg white
- ¾ cup corn syrup
- 2 g salt
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- Whip at high speed the egg whites, corn syrup, and salt until stiff peaks form, approximately 10 minutes.
- Turn mixer speed to low and gradually add the icing sugar until all is absorbed.
For the banana caramel sauce:
- 180 g granulated sugar
- 50 mL water
- 150 mL 35% cream
- 1 pc peeled banana (sliced)
- Heat sugar and water in a heavy bottomed sauce pan on low heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Increase the heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the sliced banana.
- Boil until sugar caramelizes and turns a deep mahogany brown colour.
- Carefully and slowly pour in the cream while stirring to incorporate fully.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring slowly.
- Puree and set aside to cool.
Assembly and Plating:
- Cube the cooled banana bread and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour over the custard mixture.
- Allow to soak for 5 minutes.
- Divide the mixture into 6 pre-buttered soufflé dishes or large ramekins.
- Bake in a 300°F oven for 30 minutes.
- Invert the baked puddings onto 6 separate plates
- Drizzle with the banana caramel sauce
- Top each pudding with a dollop of the marshmallow fluff and toast the fluff with a blowtorch until desired degree of toasting is achieved.
- Optional: garnish with your favourite berries.
- Bon appétit!