Russell Braun, baritone
- Somers Louis Riel
A co-production with the Canadian Opera Company
Sung in English, French, and Cree with French and English SURTITLES™.
Hero, martyr, or traitor? The story of the polarizing Métis leader and Canada’s westward expansion is told in this landmark work. Composed by Harry Somers for our nation’s centennial in 1967, this uniquely Canadian contribution to the opera world is returning on the work’s 50th anniversary, and will help mark the 150th anniversary of Canada’s Confederation. The National Arts Centre has joined with the Canadian Opera Company to proudly present this new production of Louis Riel.
Music by Harry Somers
Libretto by Mavor Moore with the collaboration of Jacques Languirand
Presented in partnership with Canada Scene.
Louis Riel has been made possible by generous donors to the National Arts Centre Foundation who believe in investing in Canadian creators, including: Kimberley Bozak and Philip Deck, Earlaine Collins, and TD Bank
Hero, martyr, or traitor?
- Alexander Shelley Conductor
- Peter Hinton Director
- NAC Orchestra
- Russell Braun Louis Riel
- Michael Gianfrancesco Set Designer
- Gillian Gallow Costume Designer
- Bonnie Beecher Lighting Designer
- James Westman Sir John A. Macdonald
- Simone Osborne Marguerite Riel
- Allyson McHardy Julie Riel
- Alain Coulombe Bishop Taché
- Michael Colvin Thomas Scott
- Ewashko Singers
- Laurence Ewashko Chorus master