- Dvořák Symphony No. 9 in E minor, Op. 95, "From the New World" (Allegro con fuoco)
- LARYSA KUZMENKO/ROBERT CHAFE Heirloom for chorus and orchestra, based on Brahms Intermezzo, Op. 118, No. 2
- Korngold Concerto in D Major, Opus 35, for Violin and Orchestra
- John Estacio I Lost My Talk, based on the poem by Rita Joe
The Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra presents Canada’s NAC Orchestra at the St. John’s Arts and Culture Centre. This special performance will be a celebration of music and storytelling as part of the NAC Orchestra Canada 150 Tour.
St. John’s-based Shallaway Youth Choir will join the NAC Orchestra for the opening of the concert with a new orchestration of Brahms’ Intermezzo. James Ehnes will dazzle audiences with the Korngold violin concerto followed by the “New World Symphony” - a classic favourite. The evening culminates with John Estacio’s new work I Lost My Talk, inspired by Mi'kmaw Elder and poet Rita Joe, C.M. This lush musical score is performed with film and live narration, a truly “powerful, overwhelming creation” (Christophe Husse, Le Devoir).
Pre-Concert Activity featuring Eastern Owl and Jubilate Choir - 19:15-19:45
Eastern Owl and Jubilate Choir will both perform in the lobby of the St. John’s Arts and Culture Centre.
Eastern Owl is a local indigenous ensemble that performs traditional Indigenous music with folk music and other genres. Eastern Owl is a group that began at the St. John’s Friendship Centre. Jubilate Choir is a youth choir affiliated with Shallaway Choir – who will be performing at the NAC Orchestra concert.
- Alexander Shelley Conductor
- James Ehnes Violin
- Shallaway Youth Choir
- NAC Orchestra
- Monique Mojica Actor
- Donna Feore Creative producer & director
- Barbara Willis Sweete Filmmaker
- Tekaronhiáhkhwa Santee Smith Film choreographer
- NORMAL Video design
- Peter McBoyle Sound designer
- William Fallon Associate sound designer
- Kimberly Purtell Lighting designer