A HEARTFELT THANK YOU
Looking back on last season we have much to celebrate and it’s thanks to you, our donors that helped make it all possible.
You helped create inspiring and innovative programming like:
• NAC English Theatre’s Grand Acts of Theatre, which engaged 13 of Canada’s most innovative theatre companies to create and perform large-scale, new works, performed outdoors in front of live audiences in various Canadian locations; and
• NAC French Theatre’s Prologue(s), a series featuring nine of Canada’s beloved Francophone artists performing original works outdoors in front of a small volunteer audience.
• The National Creation Fund continues to play a critical role in supporting Canadian artists and companies. Fuelled entirely by donors, the Fund invested almost $2.8 million in the development of 18 ambitious projects over the past year.
Donors like you helped performing artists from across the country find a home on the virtual stage, bringing livestream concerts, dance performances, play readings, performing arts education and more to audiences and arts lovers through technology:
• NAC Indigenous Theatre presented a live reading of the play Little Red Warrior and His Lawyer, written by artistic director and award-winning playwright, Kevin Loring;
• The NAC Orchestra delivered moving performances from the Southam Hall stage for audiences far and wide;
• Fridays at the Fourth, NAC Popular Music and Variety’s weekly emerging music series, brought Canada’s popular artists to living rooms across the country;
• #DanceForth, an innovative project by NAC Dance, which supported and celebrated Canadian dance through residency and performance opportunities at the NAC and in partnership with performing arts centres across the country;
• and performing arts learning and engagement opportunities for students and educators, like the first-ever virtual edition of the BIG BANG festival which transported thousands of children and families from across the country on a magical, musical adventure from the comfort of their homes.
The #DanceForth invitation came during a dark time for the dance sector. It provided us with a sense of community, partnership and caring. The NAC has come through for us all in a meaningful way to combat the isolation and austerity brought on by the pandemic. — Yvon Soglo aka Crazy Smooth, choreographer, performer and Artistic Director, Bboyizm Dance Company (Gatineau)
With you by our side, the NAC has been able to provide a lifeline to many during a challenging time. Your generosity offered comfort, hope and inspiration to artists, arts organizations and audiences from coast-to-coast-to-coast.
Learn more how your support makes a difference: