- Kevin Lau In the Garden of Endless Sleep for oboe and piano
- ALISON YUN-FEI JIANG Stray Birds for wind quintet
- AMY BEACH Pastorale for wind quintet, Op. 151
- SAMUEL BARBER Summer Music for wind quintet, Op. 31
- POULENC Trio for oboe, bassoon and piano
- In-person event
- ≈ 90 minutes · No intermission
NAC Orchestra commission as part of the Carrefour Composer Program, made possible by the Canada Council for the Arts.
NACO at the Fourth presents the world premiere of Alison Yun-Fei Jiang’s Stray Birds, a two-fold musical flight evoking birds taking wing and the impact of Covid-19 on people who were forced to stay or return home. This evocative new work is Alison’s first commission as one of the NAC’s two Carrefour composers.
Kevin Lau is one of Canada’s most versatile and sought-after composers, and a favourite of NAC audiences. His The Garden of Endless Sleep imagines “a garden that moves through time, flickering between present, past, and future…a cultivated slice of natural beauty through various stages of growth and decay.”