- Errollyn Wallen Photography I.-- (4 mins)
- MAX BRUCH Romanze for Viola and Orchestra, Op. 85 (Jacob van der Sloot, viola) (10 mins)
- DINUK WIJERATNE Polyphonic Lively (12 mins)
- Ernest Chausson Poème for Violin and Orchestra, Op. 25 (Gabrielle Després, violin) (16 mins)
- JULIA PERRY A Short Piece for Orchestra (8 mins)
- Conductor Daniel Bartholomew-Poyser
- Violin Gabrielle Després
- Viola Jacob van der Sloot
Join us for the first NACO Live concert of 2021 to kick off a new year, as we continue on our journey to create concert experiences that reflect the fabric and values of Canada, with daring programming, powerful storytelling and inspiring artistry. Using the universal language of music we aim to communicate the deepest of human emotions and build our connection through shared musical experience.
This concert program will explore symphonic music’s unique and wonderful power to express diverse voices and ideas. The works by Errollyn Wallen, Dinuk Wijeratne, and Julia Perry each evoke the dynamic energy of the orchestra’s instruments in lively and colourful conversation. Max Bruch’s tender Romance and Chausson’s lush Poème provide lyrical contrast and feature, respectively, soloists Jacob van der Sloot and Gabrielle Després, both on CBC Music’s 2020 classical “30 Under 30” list.
Performance is approximately 60 minutes with no intermission.