“Hack the symphony” with audacious new explorations of sound and symphonic classics through science and technology. Arrive early for a special Maker Faire Ottawa edition of TUNETOWN and tinker with unique inventions and instruments featured in the concert! Brought to you by the creative engines of the NAC Orchestra, Canada Science and Technology Museum, pHacktory, and Artengine.
PROGRAM (subject to change):
In this concert, you will hear excerpts from:
- R. STRAUSS Also Sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30: Fanfare (Opening)
- J. STRAUSS Music of the Spheres: Waltzes, Op. 235
- BEETHOVEN Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68 "Pastoral": IV. Thunderstorm/Tempest
- STEWART Mud Lake Symphony
- J.S. BACH Violin Concerto in A minor BWV 1041: I. Allegro moderato
- MESSIAEN Les Offrandes Oubliées
- HERRERA Bicycle Beats (excerpt from "Ideas, Not Theories")
- JÄRVLEPP Garbage Concerto for Recycled Percussion and Orchestra: I. Dance of the Wind
TUNETOWN Maker Faire Ottawa Edition
Come early! Join us 45 minutes prior to the concert for a fun and interactive TUNETOWN Maker Faire. Activities will include a demonstration of 3D printing musical instruments with the Ottawa Symphony Orchestra, hands-on demos of the LITTLEBITS music modules and the MakeyMakey platform, ,including the "banana-piano" and interactive musical sculpture, Johann Sebastian “Box”, the Bassalyzer which visualizes low-frequency sounds a tin can percussion activity and much more!
TUNETOWN pre-concert activities organized by the Friends of the NAC Orchestra.
The light installation featured in the NAC Orchestra’s Symphony Hack Lab performances designed and created by pHacktory, with generous support from Ecotonos Design + Manufacturing
NACOtron presented in collaboration with Rogers TV
Rogers TV is very pleased to present NACOtron, in partnership with the National Arts Centre Orchestra. We hope you enjoy the giant images on the NACOtron screen as they capture and magnify the magic of these fabulous concerts.