NAC Orchestra Week has wrapped up for another year, and this edition – the sixth – was a great success. The week started out with a bang – the proclamation of NAC Orchestra Week by Mayor Jim Watson, a performance by the NAC Rideau Lakes Brass Quintet, and three lovely songs performed by a 500-voice childrens’ choir – all on Music Monday, continuing on that same day to the NAC Orchestra Bursary Competition Finals, where young musicians took home $19,000 in prizes.
The week included:
- 1 ‘Musicians in the Schools’ performance
- 1 lunchtime concert at Fifth Avenue Court in the Glebe
- 2 concert/demonstrations at community centres
- 3 NAC Orchestra Student Matinees (Emily Saves the Orchestra)
- 3 hugely successful CTV Pops concerts (Do You Hear the People Sing)
- 4 concerts at long-term care facilities
Media coverage was significant, with various stories appearing in print, on radio, online, in social media, and on TV in both English and French.
Major thanks go to:
- Friends of the NAC Orchestra, who make this entire week possible with their generous funding
- all the musicians who participated throughout the week: Nicholas Atkinson, tuba; Douglas Burden, bass trombone; Paul Casey, viola; Hilda Cowie, double bass; Karen Donnelly, trumpet; Mark Friedman, violin; Judy Ginsburg, piano; David Goldblatt, viola; David Hutchenreuther, cello; Yosuke Kawasaki, violin; Jill Kirwan, French horn; Jean Hee Lee, violin; Jessica Linnebach, violin; Tim McCoy, cello; Vincent Parizeau, keyboard; Don Renshaw, trombone; Sean Rice, clarinet; Leah Roseman, violin; David Thies-Thompson, violin; Margaret Munro Tobolowska, cello; Steven van Gulik, trumpet; and Leah Wyber, cello
- the organizers who put a lot of effort into making it all look effortless – Kelly Abercrombie, Ryan Purchase, Melynda Szabototh, and Meiko Taylor
- the NAC New Media team who get the word out – Kevin Bhookun, Maurizio Ortolani, David Ramalho, Marnie Richardson, Anna Thornton, and Jason Westerlund
- the bloggers who shared their personal stories and experiences both backstage and onstage: Kelly Abercrombie, Paul Casey, Ryan Purchase, Leah Roseman, and Meiko Taylor
Thank you to all the people who entered the NAC Orchestra Week contest.
And thanks especially to everyone who attended any of our exciting NAC Orchestra Week concerts!