NAC Orchestra 2013-14 Season Unveiled! New series, soprano Renée Fleming, Forsyth Double Concerto, and Paul Anka NAC Gala wow the crowds!
The National Arts Centre Orchestra and Music Director Pinchas Zukerman launch their 2013-14 season today, including a new Casual Fridays concert series! Designed with an earlier start time, a compact program and inspired tapas-style offerings from NAC Executive Chef John Morris, Casual Fridays captures an additional audience of young urbans and commuters for its stellar lineup of guest artists: the exceptional talent of NAC Orchestra Principal Cellist Amanda Forsyth, electrifying organist Cameron Carpenter, and gifted violinist Leila Josefowicz are just some of the incredible musicians to perform in 2013-14.
NAC Orchestra sponsors, distinguished donors, media and NACO subscribers packed the main foyer of the National Arts Centre at a live unveiling of the new season, which includes:
- Music Director Pinchas Zukerman and the NAC Orchestra offer 40 concerts for you to enjoy, including Fauré’s Requiem and Mahler Symphony No. 5.
- Soprano superstar Renée Fleming returns to the NAC for an evening of operatic artistry as part of this fall’s Romantic Festival! Her glorious voice is unforgettable; she’s been crowned “the people’s Diva” by The New York Times.
- Paul Anka – legendary crooner and adored 1950s and 60s teen idol – is this year’s NAC Gala headliner! CIBC, as presenting sponsor, welcomes the Ottawa-born singer-songwriter to steal the show in September's NAC Gala. When you know all the words, the evening just rings true: Diana, I’m Just a Lonely Boy, Put Your Head On My Shoulder – hits that became the songbook of 1959 and the early 1960s – make for a swoon-worthy and swingin' evening out!
Extraordinary guest soloists join the NAC Orchestra: pianists Louis Lortie, Yefim Bronfman, Jon Kumura Parker, Conrad Tao, Jan Lisiecki, Christian Zacharias and Richard Goode, organist Cameron Carpenter, and violinists Karen Gomyo, Giora Schmidt, and Leila Josefowicz will bring their signature sound to strong, beautiful repertoire.
- Stellar guest conductors including Jakub Hrusa, Hannu Lintu, John Storgards, Alexander Shelley, Michael Francis and Juraj Valcuha shape the sound of the NAC Orchestra in a broad exploration of styles, in concerts created with our partners Mark Motors of Ottawa Audi, CAPP (Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers), Fidelity Investments, TD Bank Group, and this year's exciting addition to the NAC family of corporate partners – Air Canada.
- Incomparable NAC Principal Cellist Amanda Forsyth will perform the NAC premiere of her late father Malcolm Forsyth's Double Concerto in March, 2014.
- TD Family Adventures presents The Hockey Sweater, the iconic story by author Roch Carrier. Mr. Carrier and The Honourable Ken Dryden, co-host of the NAC Orchestra’s production, are our guests today. Three other live Orchestra concerts – Vivaldi's Ring of Mystery, Peter and the Wolf, and Roald Dahl's Little Red Riding Hood – are designed specifically for children, to introduce them to the wonder of live music.
- The NAC Orchestra goes on Tour to China. The Orchestra, under the leadership of Music Director Pinchas Zukerman, is internationally in demand for live performances. The China Tour, with presenting partner Aimia, takes two Canadian composers’ works – by Alexina Louie (our guest today) and John Estacio – along for the Orchestra’s performances in October.
- Rising star Timothy Chooi, performing live at the launch via Skype, a graduate of the NAC’s Young Artists Program, is guest violinist in the Air Canada Ovation Series.
QUICK FACTS: The Success of the NAC Orchestra's Current 2012-13 Season
17, 000 – the number of NAC Orchestra subscriptions this season… an all-time high!
110, 000 – the total number of tickets sold to Orchestra concerts this season… And the 2012-13 season’s not done yet!
Twelve – The number of sold out concerts so far this season. This number includes the 8 sold-out concerts so far this season, plus upcoming Itzhak Perlman recital and the Tenors Fidelity Pops! concerts.
QUICK FACTS: Today's Subscriber and Media Launch event:
Jazz band The Chocolate Hot Pockets (one of the ensembles who will pump up the pre-concert social atmosphere for Casual Fridays) perform two sets today at the 2013-14 season unveiling.
Over 560 NAC Orchestra subscribers have indicated that they will attend this launch of the 2013-14 season, and the NAC Box Office opens at 10:00 a.m. to take the first subscription orders. Purchasing a subscription gives you priority seat selection and saves you up to 20% off regular ticket prices. Subscribe online and save an additional 5% before April 26.
The musicians of the NAC Orchestra have invited subscribers to an open rehearsal following the Launch. Guest conductor Fabien Gabel is preparing the NAC Orchestra for concerts featuring Johannes Moser’s performance of Shostakovich Cello Concerto later this week.