Carte Blanche, Norway's National Company of Contemporary Dance, performs 3 O’Clock in the Afternoon on February 22-23
Norway’s National Company of Contemporary Dance, Carte Blanche, makes its National Arts Centre debut with the high-energy, theatrical 3 O’Clock in the Afternoon. Choreographed by the award-winning Ina Christel Johannessen, this is a poetic, political, and gripping dance piece which focuses on boundaries: -geographical and political; those in our minds; and, those of the physical body. Carte Blanche performs 3 O’clock in the Afternoon in the NAC Theatre on Friday February 22 and Saturday February 23, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
3 O’Clock in the Afternoon (2010)
Choreographer: Ina Christel Johannessen
Costume and Set Design: Kristin Torp
Lighting Design: Kyrre Heldal Karlsen
Sound Mix: Morten Pettersen
Music: Hildur Gunðnadóttir | Elegi | Alva Noto | Svarte Greiner
Duration: 80 minutes, no intermission
ABOUT 3 O'CLOCK IN THE AFTERNOON
Ina Christel Johannessen probes boundaries on many levels in 3 O’Clock in the Afternoon: about how we belong together, or create distance between us – both on a macro and micro level. With her unmistakable movement language, and beautiful costumes and scenography, Johannessen guides our emotions, providing us with multiple layers of stories and associations. The spectator may be provoked, moved, or simply captivated. Performed by twelve dancers to an electronic score, 3 O’Clock in the Afternoon features a cleverly designed set with five doors that open to grant passage, revealing hidden artwork, and offering glimpses beyond. As the portals open and close, the dancers struggle to overcome separation and make meaningful contact with one another.
ABOUT INA CHRISTEL JOHANNESSEN
Internationally-renowned Ina Christel Johannessen is one of Norway's leading choreographers, artistic leader of zero visibility corp., which she founded in 1996. She has created no fewer than 13 works for Carte Blanche, several of which have been honoured with prestigious awards. She was trained at the Oslo National Academy of the Arts, where she now teaches choreography. Ina's work is characterized by high-energy physical movement merged with very poetic and often theatrical elements. She is very much involved in the creation of visual elements, such as lighting and set design, which play crucial parts in her work. The musical elements are always composed of new or rewritten electronic works from international composers.
ABOUT CARTE BLANCHE
Carte Blanche is the Norwegian National Company of Contemporary Dance. Founded in 1989, Carte Blanche tours extensively, both in Norway and abroad. The ensemble consists of 12 to 15 dancers who are acknowledged for their technical abilities and powerful stage presence. Carte Blanche produces an average of two new pieces each year, and often restages productions. Carte Blanche’s repertoire includes works by some of the best Norwegian and internationally acclaimed choreographers, including Ina Christel Johannessen, Jo Strømgren, Alan Lucien Øyen, Hofesh Shechter, Sharon Eyal, Ingun Bjørnsgaard, Ohad Naharin, and Rui Horta. Carte Blanche strongly emphasizes commissioning work by a new generation of dance creators. The combination of both the up-and-coming and renowned results in an eclectic, exciting, and high-quality repertoire that places the company at the forefront of the creation, presentation, and development of contemporary dance in Norway and abroad.
"Some of the best I have seen by Ina Christel Johannessen and Carte Blanche. ... simply dazzling in its rich complexity."
Aftenposten, October 2, 2010
"Carte Blanche does it again. The beautiful, graceful, almost divine movements, executed with such amazing accuracy and apparent ease, impress once again."
Studvest.no, October 7, 2010
Carte Blanche Master Class
with Annabelle Bonnéry, Rehearsal Director
Saturday, February 23rd 10:30am-12:00
Thanks to the generous support of the Embassy of Norway, Annabelle Bonnéry, Rehearsal Director with Carte Blanche will be teaching a free dance master class for local Ottawa and Gatineau students.
As space is limited, register in advance with Kirsten Andersen, Dance Outreach Coordinator. Email: email@example.com or Tel: 613-947-7000 ext 588
- Deadline for registration: Wednesday, February 20, 2013
- For advanced level ballet students and dancers only (aged 14 and up)
- Location: Rehearsal Hall B, National Arts Centre, 53 Elgin Street, Ottawa (Enter by Stage Door)
- Carte Blanche performs 3 O'Clock in the Afternoon in the Theatre of the National Arts Centre on Friday February 22 and Saturday February 23, 2013 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $38, $47, and $51, for adults and $20.50, $25, and $27 for students (upon presentation of a valid student ID card).
- Tickets are available at the NAC Box Office (in person); tickets are also available (with service charges) at all Ticketmaster outlets, by telephone from Ticketmaster at 1-888-991-2787 (ARTS), and online through the Ticketmaster link on the NAC's website at www.nac-cna.ca
- Subject to availability, full-time students (aged 13-29) with valid Trinity Live Rush™ membership may buy up to 2 tickets per performance at the discount price of $12 per ticket. Tickets are available online (www.nac-cna.ca) or at the NAC box office from 10 a.m. on the day before the performance until 6 p.m. on the day of the show. This includes all available seats, including the best seats in the house. Check out liverush.ca for information on the Trinity Live Rush program.
- Groups of 10 or more save 15% to 20% off regular ticket prices. To reserve your seats, call 613 947-7000, ext. 634 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- For additional information and photos/video of the production, visit the NAC website at www.nac-cna.ca
— 30 —
For more information :
Marketing and Communications Officer, Dance/ Agente de marketing et de communication, Danse
National Arts Centre/Centre national des Arts
(613) 947-7000 X379, Cell: (613) 617-4782