CELEBRATE CANADA DAY AT THE NAC! THE LIVING ROOM OF THE CITY IS OPEN WITH FREE EVENTS FROM 10 AM TO 5 PM
June 20, 2018
CELEBRATE CANADA DAY AT THE NAC!
THE LIVING ROOM OF THE CITY IS OPEN WITH FREE EVENTS FROM 10 AM TO 5 PM
The NAC opens its doors rain or shine, to celebrate the country’s birthday
June 20, 2018 – OTTAWA (Canada) – The National Arts Centre is the place to be on Canada Day, offering a full slate of free family-friendly performances and activities on Sunday, July 1. Canada Day at the NAC features an impressive host of artists and activities.
As the Living Room of the City, July 1 at the National Arts Centre will be a wonderful and inviting opportunity to explore a number of events and performances in the NAC’s public spaces, including:
- The Kid’s Corner full of creative arts and crafts activities for children in Peter A. Herrndorf Place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Morning and afternoon performances from members of the NAC’s Orchestra, including Rachel Mercer on cello, the Capital Brass Trio and Silflay String Quartet, which will take place around the Glass Thorsteinson Staircase.
- Dance and music performances on the Canal Lobby Stage featuring Sharing Dance, the Academy Choir, Miguel De Armas Quartet and a performance from Kina Nimiwag Dancers.
- Amazing DJs and dancing in the Rossy Pavilion all afternoon with Ottawa’s Capital Sessions House Dance Practice. Rise Ashen and Bgirl Tangent will lead short house dance workshops on the hour while Montreal DJs Akpossoul and Don Barbarino take you on a journey through the finest Afro House music! This kicks off a series of Capital Sessions dance events this summer at the NAC!
- The NAC Canada Day BBQ starting 11 a.m. on Freiman Lane, for visitors to purchase burgers, salmon and sausages.
The NAC’s Canada Day tradition attracts thousands of visitors each year and provides families visiting the activities on Parliament Hill an oasis of fun.
For more information, please visit https://nac-cna.ca/en/canadaday.
Share your day on social media at the NAC with the hashtag: #NACCanadaDay
Canada Day Schedule
10:00-16:00 Kid’s Corner Peter A. Herrndorf Place
Craft activities for the children
10:00-10:05 Welcome Ceremony Glass Thorsteinson Staircase
Annie Smith St-Georges, Algonquin Elder
10:05-10:45 Performance: Rachel Mercer Glass Thorsteinson Staircase
Solo cello – Bach Suites
11:00-11:45 Performance: Silflay String Quartet Glass Thorsteinson Staircase
Leah Roseman (violin), Mark Friedman (violin),
Sonya Probst (viola), Thaddeus Morden (cello)
11:00-16:45 Canada Day BBQ* Freiman Lane
Canadian classics such as burgers, sausages and salmon
11:30-12:30 Performance: Sharing Dance Canal Foyer Stage
12:00-16:00 Dance Workshop: Capital Sessions Rossy Pavilion
DJ and dancing all afternoon with Rise Ashen, Bgirl Tangent and DJs Akpossoul and Don Barbarino
20-minute workshops at 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, & 3 pm
12:00-12:45 Performance: Rachel Mercer Glass Thorsteinson Staircase
13:00-13:45 Performance: Silflay String Quartet Glass Thorsteinson Staircase
13:00-14:00 Performance: The Academy Choir Canal Foyer Stage
14:00-14:45 Performance: Capital Brass Trio Glass Thorsteinson Staircase
Nigel Bell (horn), Peter Crouch (trumpet), Donald Renshaw (trombone)
15:00-15:45 Performance: Capital Brass Trio Glass Thorsteinson Staircase
15:00-16:00 Performance: Miguel De Armas Quartet Canal Foyer Stage
16:30-17:30 Performance: Kina Nimiwag Dancers Canal Foyer Stage
featuring Eagle River Drum group and Rise Ashen
* Please note food and beverages are not free.
Due to the upgrades being made in our performance halls this summer, there will be no programming in Southam Hall, the Babs Asper Theatre and the Azrieli Studio. Our free programming on July 1 will take place in our public spaces from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m
Please note that parking at and around the NAC is very limited on this day, with many street closures throughout the downtown core and we encourage you to take public transit. The NAC wishes to remind patrons if they wish to park at the NAC, please do not leave any valuables in the automobile.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Senior Marketing and Communications Officer, NAC Dance
613 947-7000 x379