How to Apply
Application Deadline: Friday, March 17th 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
Eligibility of students: Applicants must be music students aged 16 to 24 whose family residence is in the National Capital Region of Canada (NCR) or whose principal residence has been in the NCR in the immediately preceding year or who have been following a recognized course of music study in the NCR over that year. Applicants must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada.
The 2017 competition is open to students of a woodwind, brass or percussion orchestral instrument, including the flute, oboe, English horn, clarinet, bassoon, contra-bassoon, French horn, trumpet, trombone, bass trombone, tuba, timpani and percussion. Students of a string orchestral instrument including violin, viola, cello, double bass and harp are not eligible to participate in the 2017 Competition and will be invited to participate in 2018.
- Applicant Availability: Those applying for the NACO Bursary Competition must be available for the duration of the Competition, including the Preliminary Auditions and, if selected, the Finals.
- Online Application: Applicants will complete the required online application (by clicking on the “APPLY NOW” link below) and submit by the deadline indicated. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Refundable audition fee (in Canadian Dollars): A fee of $50 is required upon application to the NAC Orchestra Bursary Competition and must be received by the National Arts Centre by mail post-marked no later than the Bursary Competiton application deadline. The fee shall be refunded to the applicant upon completion of his/her Preliminary audition. Refunds will not be provided to candidates who withdraw from the Competition without providing a minimum of 72 hours notice before their scheduled audition.
Payments must be made by cheque (made payable to the National Arts Centre) and sent by mail to:
NAC Orchestra Bursary Competition
c/o Music Education Department
53 Elgin Street
P.O. Box 1534, Station B
- Additional Requirements:
- An up-to-date résumé/curriculum vitae (one page maximum) is required. Résumés should be an MS word or plain text file (.DOC, .TXT).
- A photo is required. Photos should not be more than 200k file size, (.JPEG). Photos do not need to be professional-quality, but must be a clear, unobstructed headshot of the applicant.
- These documents are to be prepared before starting the online application process. They will be required as attachments to the online form.
- Communication: The main form of communication for this Competition will be by email. Applicants are advised to have an email address. It is the responsibility of the applicant/participant to check email on a regular basis for communications.
- Audition Requirements
- Solo repertoire: The approved solo repertoire list has been carefully developed and is regularly reviewed by the NAC Orchestra Bursary Committee. In drawing up this list the Committee has chosen pieces which, in terms of length, variety and level of difficulty, best meet the requirements of this Competition. No substitutions will be allowed. Candidates must state in writing their chosen solo repertoire from the approved list at the time of application.
- Orchestral excerpts: In addition to the solo repertoire selections listed, each candidate will be required to perform a selection of excerpts from the orchestral repertoire. Excerpted parts will be forwarded to candidates upon acceptance to the Competition after the closing of the application deadline. These excerpts are an integral part of the audition; practice and study of these elements should be given as much weight as the other repertoire.
- Status of Application / Notice of Acceptance: Candidates will be sent notice by email confirming the status of their application approximately two weeks after the application deadline. Should their application be accepted, their audition time will be indicated on this notice.
- Accompanists: Applicants are responsible for providing their own accompanists for the audition. All solo selections requiring accompaniment must be played with accompaniment. Orchestral excerpts are to be performed without accompaniment.
- Dress Code: While there is no formal dress code for either the preliminary or final auditions, informal dress appropriate to the occasion would be appreciated. Formal gowns or attire are not necessary.
- The Day of the Auditions: The jury reserves the right to ask any candidate to perform a second time before a final decision is made. The jury also reserves the right to cut short an audition in the interest of time.
For the preliminary audition, candidates must provide the jury members with 4 high-quality copies of their solo pieces, which must be high-quality photocopies, with composer and title clearly marked on each sheet. Candidates who are unable to provide four legible copies of their repertoire for jury risk disqualification.
Be sure to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your audition time. A warm-up room will be provided. Scheduled audition times are approximate. Candidates must be ready at least fifteen minutes ahead of their scheduled time (or risk disqualification), and auditions may run up to fifteen minutes late.
For further information about the NAC Orchestra Bursary Competition, please contact the National Arts Centre Music Education Office:
Telephone: 613-947-7000, ext. 586