The strings of the National Arts Centre Orchestra, Canterbury High School, and École secondaire publique De La Salle join forces for a special concert conducted by Adam Johnson (Assistant Conductor, Montreal Symphony Orchestra). Each school will have spent an afternoon rehearsing with Adam Johnson after having received hands-on advice from string players of the NAC Orchestra.
This event is a presented as part of the NAC Orchestra’s Community Week taking place from March 9-13, 2020: The NAC Orchestra Community Week is an annual initiative showcasing the incredible work our musicians and Music Director Alexander Shelley do all year long. The National Arts Centre is dedicated in its commitment to reaching students, youth, and amateur musicians and support the growth and development of musicians, educational programs and performance opportunities in the diverse community of Ottawa-Gatineau.
FREE EVENT! GENERAL ADMISSION. SEATING IS ON A FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVED BASIS.
PROGRAM: (subject to change)
- BRITTEN │ Simple Symphony, Op. 4: 4th movement (NAC Orchestra string section)
- ELGAR │ Serenade for Strings, Op. 20: 1st and 2nd movements (NAC Orchestra string section & Canterbury High School string orchestra)
- MEYER │ Of Glorious Plumage (NAC Orchestra string section & Canterbury High School string orchestra)
- BARBER │ Adagio for Strings, Op. 11 (NAC Orchestra string section & string orchestra from École secondaire publique De La Salle)
- VAUGHAN WILLIAMS │ Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis (NAC Orchestra string section & string orchestra from École secondaire publique De La Salle)
This concert is made possible thanks to generous support from the Leacross Foundation, Friends of the NAC Orchestra, A Donor-Advised Fund at the Community Foundation of Ottawa and the donors and sponsors of the NAC’s National Youth and Education Trust, the primary resource for youth and education funding at the National Arts Centre.