Call for volunteers!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering in 2017!
This is an epic time in our great city. Among the many festivals and events taking place this summer to celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary, are the National Arts Centre’s Canada Scene, the Magnetic North Theatre Festival, and the Canada Dance Festival. In the spirit of cooperation, Canada Scene, Magnetic North Theatre Festival, and the Canada Dance Festival will share volunteer resources. When you sign up to volunteer, you may have opportunities to volunteer for Canada Scene, Magnetic North Theatre Festival, and the Canada Dance Festival.
Due to their scope and size, festivals such as these would simply not be possible without the generous support of volunteers. We invite you to help out in a number of ways: assistance will be required with artist transportation, reception at the information kiosks, merchandise sales, front of house, hospitality, and administration.
Canada Scene, Magnetic North Theatre Festival, and Canada Dance Festival Volunteer Job Descriptions
For all volunteer positions, bilingualism is an asset. Please note that a police record check is also required.
- Drive artists and presenters to and from Canada Scene/Magnetic North/Canada Dance Festival venues, hotels, and airport
- Transport items such as musical instruments and production gear
- Have a clean driving record
- Be prepared to work outside normal volunteer shift hours
- Have general knowledge of the Ottawa-Gatineau region
- Greet and distribute information to presenters, delegates, and other guests
- Provide assistance to the Presenters Program Coordinator
- Ensure the hospitality suite is tidy before and after greeting hours
- Lay out / put away food and beverages
- Hosting and serving experience is an asset
- Answer telephone inquiries
- Clerical duties
- Attention to detail
- Computer / clerical experience is an asset
Front of House
- Take tickets and direct audience members to their seats
- Distribute programs (when available)
- Set up and run information and concession area during intermission
Booth locations: National Arts Centre, Sheraton Hotel, and Radisson Hotel
- Inform the public in a courteous, friendly manner
- Welcome artists and presenters to Canada Scene/Magnetic North/Canada Dance Festival and the National Arts Centre
- Distribute artist / presenter bags
- Provide artists and presenters with information and directions regarding transportation, set-up schedules, and venues as necessary
- Possess effective communication skills
The above-mentioned positions may include any or all the duties listed.